Friday, April 16, 2010

SHHHH......




Today is the day of silence. it is the day we sit in silence to represent the silence LGBTQ people must feel everyday. We take for granted the ability to voice opinions, beliefs, dreams, desires, and love. Today we keep in mind those who cannot.
This is a silent movement, a silent protest against discrimination and violence. be silent for your brother, sister, mother, father, cousin, daughter, son, aunt, uncle, grandchildren and friends.

"There are times when silence has the loudest voice."-Leroy Brownlow

"See how nature-trees, flowers, grass-grows in silence; see the stars, the moon and the sun, how they move in silence...we need silence to be able to touch souls."-Mother Teresa of Calcutta

"The best answer to anger is silence."-unknown

"In the end antiblack, antifemale, and all forms of discrimination are equivalent to the same thing-antihumanism."-Shirley Chisholm

"I don't think homosexuality is a choice. Society forces you to think it's a choice, but in fact, its in one's nature. The choice is whether one expresses one's nature truthfully or spends the rest of one's life lying about it"-Marlo Thomas

"I'm a supporter of gay rights. And not a closet supporter either. From the time I was a kid, I have never been able to understand attacks upon the gay community. There are so many qualities that make up a human being... by the time I get through with all the things that I really admire about people, what they do with their private parts is probably so low on the list that it is irrelevant.”-Paul Newman

last year i had on my green tape all day at school. My lil sis and i organized probably the biggest day of silence at Central High School of Philadelphia. There were students all over school wearing different colored duct tape to symbolize they are being silent for the day.

this year.... unfortunately i am unable to be silent. i will be going to a family event and will be meeting dozens of people. I am all for making a statement, but i do not support being rude to family members. i will be ignoring all phone calls though and limiting my talking to a speak when spoken to situation.

-a silent girl


No comments:

Post a Comment